Release notes for
GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins 0.10.17
"Raised by Wolves"
The GStreamer team is proud to announce a new release
in the 0.10.x stable series of the
GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins.
The 0.10.x series is a stable series targeted at end users.
"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
There are times when the world needs a color between black and white.
Quality code to match the good's, but two-timing, backstabbing and ready to
sell your freedom down the river. These plug-ins might have a patent noose
around their neck, or a lock-up license, or any other problem that makes you
think twice about shipping them.
We don't call them ugly because we like them less. Does a mother love her
son less because he's not as pretty as the other ones ? No - she commends
him on his great personality. These plug-ins are the life of the party.
And we'll still step in and set them straight if you report any unacceptable
behaviour - because there are two kinds of people in the world, my friend:
those with a rope around their neck and the people who do the cutting.
This module contains a set of plug-ins that have good quality and correct
functionality, but distributing them might pose problems. The license
on either the plug-ins or the supporting libraries might not be how we'd
like. The code might be widely known to present patent problems.
Distributors should check if they want/can ship these plug-ins.
Other modules containing plug-ins are:
- contains a basic set of well-supported plug-ins
- contains a set of well-supported plug-ins under our preferred license
- contains a set of less supported plug-ins that haven't passed the
rigorous quality testing we expect
Features of this release
- asfdemux: Handle new type of DRM'd asf files
- dvdreadsrc: fix handling of multi-angle streams
- dvdreadsrc: improve error messages on read errors
- mad: if gst_pad_alloc_buffer() returns a buffer with the wrong size allocate a new one
- mad: support reverse playback
- mpeg2dec: convert the position to stream time before answering to a position query
- mpeg2dec: fix position query by trusting upstream
- mpeg2dec: refactor cropping code to use libgstvideo functions
- mpeg2dec: use gst_pad_alloc_buffer() when cropping buffers
- mpegparse: re-fix flow return handling
- rmdemux: set GST_BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT properly
- x264enc: add a note to the docs about encoder latency and queues
- x264enc: also accept YV12 input
- x264enc: Handle codec/encoder tags
- x264enc: Work around a rate control issue in libx264
- x264: use pkg-config to locate libx264
- x264: vbv-buf-capacity should have a minimum of 0
- xingmux: Don't ignore WRONG_STATE and NOT_LINKED when pushing data downstream
Bugs fixed in this release
: [dvdreadsrc] DVDs with multiple angles switch angles during read
: mpeg2dec: possibly uses wrong strides for 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 YUV with unusual display width or height
: Fix dvb for DVB API 3.3
: [x264enc] Video codec information copied incorrectly to output
: [mpeg2dec] answers to position queries are wrong for DVDs
: [x264enc] really bad quality with tune=zerolatency
: x264: use pkg-config to locate dependencies for plugin
: x264enc: " vbv-buf-capacity " property should have minimum value of 0
: Crash in mad decoder when changing number of audio output channels in Totem while media is running
: x264enc: docs should indicate specifics of using with queues
: rmdemux: set GST_BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT properly
: realmedia: do not use the pad buffer allocation functions in demuxers
: [asfdemux] Doesn't handle new PlayReady DRM files
You can find source releases of gst-plugins-ugly in the
gst-plugins-ugly download directory.
The git repository and details how to clone it can be found at
The project's website is https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org.
Support and Bugs
We use GNOME's bugzilla for
bug reports and feature requests.
Please submit patches via bugzilla as well.
For help and support, please subscribe to and send questions to the
gstreamer-devel mailing list (see below for details).
There is also a #gstreamer IRC channel on the Freenode IRC network.
Git is hosted on git.freedesktop.org. You can
browse the gst-plugins-ugly repository.
All code is in Git and can be checked out from there.
Interested developers of the core library, plugins, and applications should
subscribe to the gstreamer-devel list.
Contributors to this release
- Benjamin Gaignard
- David Schleef
- Edward Hervey
- Guillaume Emont
- Jan Schmidt
- Leo Singer
- Mark Nauwelaerts
- Rob Clark
- Robert Swain
- Sebastian Dröge
- Stefan Kost
- Thiago Santos
- Thomas Green
- Tim-Philipp Müller
- Tristan Matthews
- Vincent Penquerc'h
- Wim Taymans