The GStreamer team is excited to announce a new major feature release of
your favourite cross-platform multimedia framework!
The 1.16 release series adds new features on top of the previous 1.14 series
and is part of the API and ABI-stable 1.x release series of the GStreamer
- GStreamer WebRTC stack gained support for data channels
for peer-to-peer communication based on SCTP, BUNDLE support, as well as
support for multiple TURN servers.
- AV1 video codec support for Matroska and QuickTime/MP4 containers and more
configuration options and supported input formats for the AOMedia AV1 encoder
- Support for Closed Captions and other Ancillary Data in video
- Support for planar (non-interleaved) raw audio
GstVideoAggregator, compositor and
OpenGL mixer elements are now in -base
- New alternate fields interlace mode where each buffer carries a single field
- WebM and Matroska ContentEncryption support in the Matroska demuxer
- new WebKit WPE-based web browser source element
- Video4Linux: HEVC encoding and decoding, JPEG encoding, and improved dmabuf import/export
- Hardware-accelerated Nvidia video decoder gained support for VP8/VP9 decoding,
whilst the encoder gained support for H.265/HEVC encoding.
- Many improvements to the Intel Media SDK based hardware-accelerated video
decoder and encoder plugin (msdk): dmabuf import/export for zero-copy
integration with other components; VP9 decoding; 10-bit HEVC encoding; video
post-processing (vpp) support including deinterlacing; and the video decoder
now handles dynamic resolution changes.
- The ASS/SSA subtitle overlay renderer can now handle multiple subtitles
that overlap in time and will show them on screen simultaneously
- The Meson build is now feature-complete (with the exception of plugin docs)
and it is now the recommended build system on all platforms. The Autotools build is
scheduled to be removed in the next cycle.
- The GStreamer Rust bindings and Rust plugins module
are now officially part of upstream GStreamer.
- The GStreamer Editing Services gained a gesdemux element that allows
directly playing back serialized edit list with playbin or
- Many performance improvements
Full release notes can be found here.
Binaries for Android, iOS, Mac OS X and Windows will be provided in the next days.
You can download release tarballs directly here: