Release notes for
GStreamer Base Plug-ins 0.9.6
The GStreamer team is petrified to announce a new release
in the 0.9.x development series of the
GStreamer Base Plug-ins.
The 0.9.x series is a development series and not recommended for end users.
It is not API or ABI compatible with the stable 0.8.x series.
It is, however, parallel installable with the 0.8.x series.
This module contains a set of reference plugins, base classes for other
plugins, and helper libraries.
This module is kept up-to-date together with the core developments. Element
writers should look at the elements in this module as a reference for
This module contains elements for, among others:
Other modules containing plug-ins are:
- device plugins: x(v)imagesink, alsa, v4lsrc, cdparanoia
- containers: ogg
- codecs: vorbis, theora
- text: textoverlay, subparse
- sources: audiotestsrc, videotestsrc, gnomevfssrc
- network: tcp
- audio processing: audioconvert, adder, audiorate, audioscale, volume
- visualisation: libvisual
- video processing: ffmpegcolorspace
- aggregate elements: decodebin, playbin
- contains a set of well-supported plug-ins under our preferred license
- contains a set of well-supported plug-ins, but might pose problems for
- contains a set of less supported plug-ins that haven't passed the
rigorous quality testing we expect
Features of this release
- Parallel installability with 0.8.x series
- Threadsafe design and API
- lots of leak fixes
- flicker-free and rewritten X sinks
- fractional framerates
- removed sinesrc, replaced by audiotestsrc
Bugs fixed in this release
: playbin should use autoaudiosink/autovideosink by default
: [ffmpegcolorspace] forward-port fixes from 0.8 branch
: vorbisenc: min-bitrate and max-bitrate are 1/1000 bps rat...
: gstringbuffer stops working under load
: ximage plugin should be renamed to ximagesink
: sinesrc should be dropped in favour of audiotestsrc
: GstRtpBuffer: no way to create a sub buffer with only the...
: [API] xoverlay API to post prepare-xwindow-id message
: vorbisenc doesn't compile
: Rename libgsttagedit to libgsttag
You can find source releases of gst-plugins-base in the
gst-plugins-base download directory.
The git repository and details how to clone it can be found at
The project's website is https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org.
Support and Bugs
We use GNOME's bugzilla for
bug reports and feature requests.
Please submit patches via bugzilla as well.
For help and support, please subscribe to and send questions to the
gstreamer-devel mailing list (see below for details).
Find us on IRC at #gstreamer.
Git is hosted on git.freedesktop.org. You can
browse the gst-plugins-base repository.
All code is in Git and can be checked out from there.
Interested developers of the core library, plugins, and applications should
subscribe to the gstreamer-devel list.
Contributors to this release
- Alessandro Dessina
- Andy Wingo
- Edward Hervey
- Jan Schmidt
- Johan Dahlin
- Julien Moutte
- Luca Ocgibene
- Michael Smith
- Sebastien Cote
- Thomas Vander Stichele
- Tim-Philipp Müller
- Wim Taymans