Release notes for
GStreamer Bad Plug-ins 0.10.19
"The World Kicked Back"
The GStreamer team is proud to announce a new release
in the 0.10.x stable series of the
GStreamer Bad Plug-ins.
The 0.10.x series is a stable series targeted at end users.
It is not API or ABI compatible with the stable 0.8.x series.
It is, however, parallel installable with the 0.8.x series.
"That an accusation?"
No perfectly groomed moustache or any amount of fine clothing is going to
cover up the truth - these plug-ins are Bad with a capital B.
They look fine on the outside, and might even appear to get the job done, but
at the end of the day they're a black sheep. Without a golden-haired angel
to watch over them, they'll probably land in an unmarked grave at the final
Don't bug us about their quality - exercise your Free Software rights,
patch up the offender and send us the patch on the fastest steed you can
steal from the Confederates. Because you see, in this world, there's two
kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns and those who dig.
This module contains a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par compared to the
rest. They might be close to being good quality, but they're missing something
- be it a good code review, some documentation, a set of tests, a real live
maintainer, or some actual wide use. If the blanks are filled in they might be
upgraded to become part of either gst-plugins-good or gst-plugins-ugly,
depending on the other factors.
If the plug-ins break, you can't complain - instead, you can fix the
problem and send us a patch, or bribe someone into fixing them for you.
New contributors can start here for things to work on.
Other modules containing plug-ins are:
- contains a basic set of well-supported plug-ins
- contains a set of well-supported plug-ins under our preferred license
- contains a set of well-supported plug-ins, but might pose problems for
Features of this release
- audioparsers: add bitrate calculation
- camerabin: add API to query supported image capture resolution
- camerabin: add block-after-capture property for viewfinder blocking
- camerabin: add video-capture-width/height/framerate properties
- camerabin: add video-source-filter and viewfinder-filter properties
- capssetter: element was moved to gst-plugins-good
- cogcolorspace: implement color-matrix handling and chroma-site
- dc1394: add iso-speed property
- dshowvideosrc: add support for YUY2 input format
- festival: don't open an infinite number of connections to the server and close connections
- h264parse: fix writing NALU prefix for byte-stream output format
- h264parse: fix wrong timestamps in some cases after seeking
- imagefreeze: plugin was moved to gst-plugins-good
- invtelecine: add invtelecine element
- jackaudiosrc: implement multichannel support
- jpegformat: add xmp reading and writing support
- ladspa, lv2: don't fail in plugin_init when having 0 elements (which would cause the plugin to get blacklisted)
- mmssrc: Check URI for validity and work around URI parsing bugs in libmms
- mmssrc: Use the escaped location for the RTSP redirect message
- mpegtsdemux: add support for Blu-Ray style DTS and the two DTS HD stream types
- mpegtsparse: parse TDT table in mpegts
- mpegvideoparse: export profile and level in caps; estimate bitrate; update caps when sequence header changes
- oss4: plugin was moved to gst-plugins-good
- qtmux: add support for the VP8 video codec and XMP tags
- segmentclip: add audio/video buffer segment clip elements
- vcdsrc: support the DVD URI scheme so a device can be specified via the URI
- vp8: add libvpx-based VP8 encoder/decoder (NB: encoder properties/API not fully stable yet; also, this plugin may not be compatible with GPLv2-only applications)
Bugs fixed in this release
: [vcdsrc] plugin not auto-plugged, and weird URI handling
: mpeg4videoparse fails to extract codec_data from this network camera video stream
: [dc1394src] add " iso-speed " property
: [imagefreeze] Add still frame stream generator
: [soundtouch] [pitch] Removing annoying g_print
: inputselector: linkage flags are incorrect
: fix compile errors in latest gst-plugins-bad
: [camerabin] video bin elements in wrong state when recording
: [mpegvideoparse] Update caps when sequence header changes
: Unable to build gst-plugins-bad with Sun Studio compiler
: cog can't be built against libpng 1.4.x
: [cogcolorspace] RGB- > I420 conversion adds green vertical bar at the right border
: [cog] generate_tables generates invalid tables for YUV- > RGB
: [dshowvideosrc][PATCH] Add support for YUY2 format
: More build warnings on OS X
: libmodplug's public header requires WORDS_BIGENDIAN
: audioparsers: Add bitrate calculation to baseparse
: [baseparse] NEWSEGMENT event sent with wrong start and position time
: flacparse: Fix buffer refcount issue
: mpegtsdemux: can't detect DTS audio
: [mpegtsparse] assertion gst_buffer_is_metadata_writable (buffer) failed
: [dvbsrc] Wrong property types for frequency and symbol rate
: [mpegtspacketizer] Use CRC to check if tables are duplicate
: [h264parse] Not cleaning internal state properly for reuse
: [camerabin] Replace actions with properties for setting parameters
: baseparse: Don't emit bitrate tags too early
: mpegvideoparse: Export profile and level in caps
: jackaudiosrc/sink needs to set layout on caps
: Compile mplex element with with --enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc-v2 on Windows
: Lots of printf string format warnings on Windows
: More warnings in -bad
: [mmssrc] should check location
: [cogcolorspace] I420/YV12 - > packed 4:2:2 gives assertions
: [frei0r] Boolean values can't be set from gst-launch [PATCH]
: jackaudiosrc: improve process callback
: festival plugin does not close connections to server
: [resindvd] Needs to check for libdvdread too
: Remove gst-plugins-bad/ext/polyp ?
: h264parse: broken timestamps after seeking
: [vp8enc] Limit DEFAULT_MAX_LATENCY to 25 to match libvpx
: [vp8] exclude dec/enc based on CONFIG_VP8_DECODER/ENCODER
: [vp8] add mode property to switch between CBR/VBR
: [vp8] Encoder thread support
: [vp8] Decoder QoS (avoid memcpy)
: [vp8enc] Use GST_VIDEO_CAPS_YUV instead of handwritten YUV caps
: [mpegtsparse] Memory leak in mpegts_packetizer_parse_pmt
: [mpegvideoparse] segfault because of access to a NULL buffer gotten from mpeg_packetizer_get_block
: [h264parse] leaks memory
: [vp8enc] Doesn't skip non-frame packets correctly
: [oss4] should always accept PCM in native endianness even if the hardware doesn't
You can find source releases of gst-plugins-bad in the
gst-plugins-bad download directory.
The git repository and details how to clone it can be found at
The project's website is http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org.
Support and Bugs
We use GNOME's bugzilla for
bug reports and feature requests.
Please submit patches via bugzilla as well.
For help and support, please subscribe to and send questions to the
gstreamer-devel mailing list (see below for details).
There is also a #gstreamer IRC channel on the Freenode IRC network.
Git is hosted on git.freedesktop.org. You can
browse the gst-plugins-bad repository.
All code is in Git and can be checked out from there.
Interested developers of the core library, plugins, and applications should
subscribe to the gstreamer-devel list.
Contributors to this release
- Adam Endrodi
- Alessandro Decina
- Andoni Morales
- Arun Raghavan
- Bastien Nocera
- Benjamin Otte
- Brian Cameron
- Carl-Anton Ingmarsson
- David Schleef
- Edward Hervey
- Ivan Zderadicka
- Jan Schmidt
- Joshua M. Doe
- Lasse Laukkanen
- Mark Nauwelaerts
- Olivier Crête
- Philip Jägenstedt
- Raimo Järvi
- René Stadler
- Rob Clark
- Sebastian Dröge
- Sebastian Pölsterl
- Shenghua Liu
- Stefan Kost
- Teemu Katajisto
- Thiago Santos
- Tiago Katcipis
- Tim-Philipp Müller
- Tommi Myöhänen
- Tristan Matthews
- Víctor Manuel Jáquez Leal
- Wim Taymans
- Zaheer Abbas Merali
- Руслан Ижбулатов